Emergency Food/Shelter

Key for shelters: ^ = Full-time Shelters

^ Alternatives to Domestic Violence (Casa de Paz)

P.O. Box 910
Riverside, CA 92502
From Riverside area: (951) 683-0829
From anywhere else in county: 1 (800) 339-SAFE [1 (800) 339-7233]

Call either of these 24-hour crisis lines for information about shelter for battered women & their children.

Mead Valley Community Complex

21091 Rider Street
Perris, CA
(951) 657-0685

Bread giveaway (while it lasts) is Monday through Friday mornings. Commodities are available for seniors (those aged 60 and better) from 9-11am on the 2nd Wednesday of each month. Commodities are available for pre-seniors (those aged 59 & younger) from 9 - 11 am on the 4 th Wednesday of each month. The Senior Lunch Program runs from 11:30 - 12:30 Monday through Friday. Lunch is provided to seniors for $2.00 but seniors who are hungry and without the $2 won't be turned away.

Community Assistance Program of Moreno Valley

24594 Sunnymead Blvd., Ste. W [Indian & Perris Blvd. in the Palm Plaza; turn in by Domino's Pizza - back building, facing freeway]
Moreno Valley, CA 92553
(951) 485-7792
Tuesday & Thursday 10 a.m. - 1 p.m

Food, Clothing - It's good to phone first - there are some things people need to take with them to obtain services - e.g. proof of income, picture I.D., Medi-Cal or social security card for each person in family, proof of Moreno Valley residence (utility bill).

God's Helping Hand

13958 Hwy. 215
Moreno Valley, CA 92553
(951) 653-2529

This is a food bank only. Call and make an appointment on Thursday. Food is distributed on Thursdays between 9:30 and 10:30.

^ Safehouse Shelter for Teenage Runaways

9685 Hayes
Riverside, CA 92503
(951) 351-4418
24-hour telephone access

This is a shelter for runaway youth and youth in crisis (ages 12-17). If police are phoned after the shelter is contacted, they may provide transportation to the shelter. Various interventions (such as counseling & education - there is a school on the grounds) with child & family are provided.

This agency also has a Transitional Program for 18 to 21 year old, single females or males without children. These young people may live in a shelter/apartment for up to 18 months receiving assistance in reaching their educational and career goals. The contact number for this program is (951) 369-4921.

Salvation Army (Riverside)

3695 First St.
Riverside, CA 92501
(951) 784-3571 ext 110
  • Salvation Army Preschool childcare (ages 3 -5) services at (951) 784-4495 ext. 109 (income and need).
  • Monthly Food Commodities - once a month low income families, seniors and individuals that reside in zip codes 92501 and 92506 will receive government commodities. Please call (951) 784-3571 ext. 110 to see if you qualify or for referrals to other zip codes.
  • Take Home Food Boxes – Moreno Valley (951) 653-9131; Hemet 925-7176
  • Utility Assistance – for seniors and disabled – callfor information.
  • Foundation Center – Comprehensive program for families with school aged children that are homeless or at risk or being homeless, because of a temporary financial crisis (i.e. medical reasons, lay-offs, death). Rental assistance for homeless families, utility assistance, food boxes and several other services and resource referrals.
  • Life Long Learning Computer Lab – a partnership with the City of Riverside’s Smart Riverside and RCC’s Young-at-Heart Program senior beginning computer classes. (951) 351-6190
Salvation Army (Moreno Valley)

14068 Graham St. [at Graham & Alessandro]
Moreno Valley, CA 92553
(951) 656-1822

This number is for Family Services (8:30am-12:00pm M, Tu). This is primarily a food bank but rental assistance may be provided when funds are available.

Valley Restart Center

200 E. Menlo Ave.
Hemet, CA 92543
(951) 766-7476

Dinner is served, free of charge, at 6 pm daily at this location. Come at 5:15 pm to complete necessary paperwork on the first visit. (a photo ID is needed). After three visits a guest needs to see a case manager who will offer support.

A homeless shelter is also provided through this agency. People may stay for up to 90 days but people who stay here need to show that they are looking for work. Call for additional information.